Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cher On Miley's VMA Performance: I Didn't Like It

In interviews with 'USA Today', 'Extra' and 'E!', Cher discussed Miley Cyrus' VMA performance.

Cher was asked by 'USA Today' for her opinions on Miley Cyrus' much-discussed performance at the VMAs this year, and the famously-outspoken songstress didn't hold back; "So bad", she described it. "I'm not old-fashioned... If she had come out naked, and if she'd just rocked the house, I would have said, 'You Go, girl'. It just wasn't done well. She can't dance, her body looked like hell, the song wasn't great, one cheek was hanging out. And, chick, don't stick out your tongue if it's coated."

"If you're going to go that far, then think about it before you do it", she added.

Maria Menounos of 'Extra' also caught up with Cher and asked her for her thoughts on Miley's performance; "She took a chance, so you got to give her something for that, and I must say I haven't given her anything because I didn't like it... If the chick had come out naked and done a great performance doing the same things, I would have said, you know, 'Great'... I don't like the fact that it wasn't good."

She added, "If Madonna had come out and done that, she would have done it, you know? You would have thought, it's on the borderline, but it's so great, who cares?"

Cher covered a track from Cyrus' back-catalogue, 'I Hope You Find It', for her new album 'Closer To The Truth'. About the album, Cher said, "I'm getting more comfortable with myself. I'm getting more comfortable, I think with this album."

The album will be released on 24 September in North America. The day before, the new season of NBC's 'The Voice' will premiere, which this year will see Cher act as a mentor for Blake Shelton's team; "I don't know what I expected. It was hard work and amazing... I didn't expect it to have an effect on me... And then I got there, and I was so emotionally involved. It never occurred to me that I would have this kind of feeling."

A gazillion news publications picked up on the story this week that Cher turned down the chance to open this year's Winter Olympics in Russia due to the country's anti-gay laws. About it, Cher said, "I can't do it because it's against a group of people I've spent my whole life close to. I can't do it knowing things that I've read that were just so horrible."

For whatever reason, Cyrus' performance was a hot topic for interviewers; 'E!' were another publication that asked Cher for her opinion on Miley's performance. Cher told them, "I don't give a s**t if she comes out naked. Just be better, do better. Maybe she's thrilled and delighted - everyone's talking about it. And so, that's almost as good as it being great, you know. Especially kind of in this day and age. It doesn't make any difference if you're good. It just makes a difference if people are talking about it."

'E!' asked Cher if there's any chance that we'll be seeing her twerk - the name of the provocative dance that Miley did - any time soon; she responded, "I don't want to. I mean, I could if I wanted to. But, you know, if it looks like that I don't think I'm interested. I've seen other girls do it better."

The showbiz-based publication asked the 'Woman's World' singer what the world would be like were she in change; "I would abolish Congress and the senate and I would be king. I would be very benevolent, I would give women back their rights." She also shared that she'd outlaw reality television, although she admitted to watching 'Long Island Medium' , 'Property Brothers' and 'RuPaul's Drag Race' - saying about the latter, "I watched 'RuPaul's Drag Race' a couple of times. I did watch it, but those guys are so bitchy. I would have knocked every one of them out."

Buy Cher's new album 'Closer To The Truth' from Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! A great album! Sure to hit the radio waves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a phenomenal photo! Now THAT would've been a great album cover. Bet ya that after the first run they change the album cover like the did with HOS and Love Hurts - let's hope! Although then there is just more to buy! Ouch! BUT - there does seem to be at least 4 solid singles on the record (NOT counting that dull Woman's World!)

    ReplyDelete